Powered by Blogger.

22 Months Old

21 Months Old

20 Months Old

19 Months Old

18 Months Old

17 Months Old

16 Months Old

15 Months Old

14 Months Old

13 Months Old

12 Months Old

11 Months Old

10 Months Old

Nine Months Old

Eight Months Old

Seven Months Old

Six Months Old

Five Months Old

Four Months Old

Three Months Old

Two Months Old

One Month Old

Three Weeks Old

Two Weeks Old

One Week Old

Two Days Old

Baby F: Ready For Entrance Into The World

Followers

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Alert, Alert: Officer in the Room

I felt I had no choice but to write this letter to my physician about two encounters I have had with an unprofessional nurse. I tend to have alot of patience and am usually last in line to share any conflict and/or negative feedback that I have for fear of "not wanting to make a big deal" out of something but here goes. Letter written to my physician:

Hello, Dr. D,

I just wanted to make you aware of a concern that I had about yesterday’s appointment with the nurse that was working with you related to Matt being present in his police uniform. We had this nurse earlier in my pregnancy on the day of my big ultrasound and I felt that she was unprofessional. She required that the exam room door stay open while Matt was physically present in the room. I put it past me because I did not have a physical exam that day and did not want to create any conflict.

Yesterday, she happened to be my nurse again. From the moment she saw Matt sitting with me in the waiting room, I felt she was unprofessional and made us feel uncomfortable. When she called me back to take my weight, it took her two times to properly weigh me because she was shaking. Matt was standing outside of the exam room while my weight was being taken, and she asked him to back up because his “badge” was too close. Once we went into the room, it was even more awkward. She was panting and unable to talk in complete sentences. She also had to wipe her face due to sweating.

In my line of work, I can appreciate the value of a traumatic event and/or fear that she appears to have. However, I also feel professionalism is important. In my own opinion, if she is uncomfortable, I would appreciate it if she could ask one of her nurse colleagues to take my weight and blood pressure so that she can avoid the situation and us entirely.

At my next appointment with you, Matt is not working and will not be in uniform. However, I expect that he will be in uniform again in the near future (particularly as my visits become more frequent). If this does happen, I do not want to have her as my nurse and plan to ask for someone else. If he is in uniform, he has to have his other gear with him for his own safety. I also want him to be involved in this pregnancy and would like for him to attend my visits with me. I would also like to continue to have you as my physician and do not want to have to change physicians in order to avoid the situation.

I just wanted you to know of my thoughts. I was not sure who to pass them on to. I hope bringing this to light may help someone else from having to encounter this situation in the future and/or may help this nurse plan for future situations where she may feel uncomfortable. I hope this feedback is well received.

Thanks in advance,
Jessica Farrell


We'll see if he responds. I'll keep you posted!

Dear Matt,
Thanks for all you do and the sacrifices that you make in your line of work. I know that you are placed in dangerous situations every time you are in uniform and I know how dependent people are to have your help. I'd have you in uniform by my side every day if I could and am not the least bit embarrased to be with you in uniform. You make me so proud.
Love you,
Jess

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Seriously?!?! This actually made me laugh because I couldn't believe it actually happened! Way to go for writing a letter and totally ask for a different nurse next time, that's ridiculous! Now...back to pictures please :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! WOW! I would love to know the back story that has her so worked up! Don't let it stop him from being a part of your appointments!

    She couldn't handle our church! Our pastor is also the Chaplin at the nearby Police department and now we have many officers attending our church services in uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jess you are amazing! So glad you wrote that. And YES a big thank you to our law enforcement for prtoecting us :-)

    ReplyDelete