All is not well with mommy. Early on Saturday morning, I went to put on a pair of pants and had excruciating back pain. Matt had just gotten home from working a night shift about 30 minutes earlier. I woke him up and told him a few things, 1) I needed help back in bed. 2) I needed him to call his mom and see if she could take Tyler to her house, 3) I needed him to take me to the Emergency Room. Luckily, Matt's mom was able to pick up Tyler. I had a hard time getting into the car, passed out from pain and we almost had to call an ambulance to even get me in the car to go to the emergency room.
Long story short, I got to the emergency room by car and they put me on the maternity floor. I guess if you are over 20 weeks pregnant, you cannot be treated in the ED and I was moved to the maternity floor. They tried to control the pain with pain medications, however decided to admit me overnight so they could come up with a good pain medication regimen (and monitor the baby to make sure the medication wasn't having a negative affect). I was discharged home on Sunday afternoon with Dilaudid, Lidoderm Patch and Flexerol. I was put on bed rest for several days, with the hopes that the pain gets better. The thought is that this is a sciatic nerve issue that was severely exacerbated with the pregnancy. There is not much I can do for it until I have the baby. The focus for now will be on resting, aquatics therapy, massage and more rest.
First, I need to spend some time bragging about my husband. He was amazing. He was calm the entire time and was very patient with me. Even though he had worked a night shift the night before, he stayed with me the entire day on Saturday in the hospital. He went home for a short period of time to get Tyler situated for a sleepover at his mom's house and then came right back. He stayed in the hospital with me until I fell asleep and then drove home. In 48 hours, he probably got 4 hours of sleep. I love that man. He also comforted me and tried to keep me calm when I had freak out moments about what the rest of my pregnancy will look like for me, for him and for Tyler.
So for the last few days, I've just been laying in bed. The hardest part is that I cannot pick up Tyler which is really difficult. He is starting to understand that mommy has a "boo boo" and we are getting good at "holding hands" and "hugging" instead of him being picked up. All of the responsibility falls on Matt right now, including changing Tyler, bath time, feeding him, making dinner, etc. I feel terrible but he assures me he has it under control and if anyone can, it would be him so I try to repeat this to myself often. I went online grocery shopping when I got home from the hospital. Let me tell you, that is a life changer! I was able to order everything we needed and Matt just swung by the store and the groceries were loaded into the trunk.
So for now, I wait. I lay in bed and hope that my back pain gets to a place where I can function in some capacity at work. While the doctors have offered to fill out FMLA paperwork for me to be out of work for the rest of the pregnancy, I am hopeful that it will not come to that. Matt and his mom have been tag teaming on taking care of Tyler. They are doing great and I'd be lost without them.
I did not tell my own family about this yet, as my sister is stuck in the Caribbean on her honeymoon, trying to dodge the tropical storm...and my parents/other sister are on their way to Alaska on a cruise. I didn't want any of them postponing their trips or altering them in any way. Soo long story short...Baby is great, Mommy is not so great but trying to remain calm!


No comments:
Post a Comment